Higher Education Diploma
- Qualification: Högskoleexamen
- Qualification in English: Higher Education Diploma
- EQF level: 6
- Cycle: Short cycle
- Thesis required: Degree project
- Nominal length: 2 years / 120 ECTS
- Access requirement: Upper secondary level qualification
- Access to further study: One more year of studies incl. Bachelor thesis to finalize the first cycle
A Higher Education Diploma is awarded after the student has completed the courses required to gain 120 credits with a defined specialization determined by each higher education institution itself.
A requirement for the award of a Higher Education Diploma is completion by the student of an independent project (degree project) in the main field of study.
- Swedish: Högskoleexamen i [field of study]
- English: Higher Education Diploma in [field of study]
Knowledge and understanding
For a Higher Education Diploma the student shall demonstrate knowledge and understanding in the principal field (main field of study) of the study programme, including awareness of the disciplinary foundation of the field and knowledge of some applicable methodologies in the field.
Competence and skills
For a Higher Education Diploma the student shall
- demonstrate the ability to search for, gather and critically interpret the relevant information in order to formulate answers to well defined issues in the main field of study
- demonstrate the ability to present and discuss his or her knowledge with different audiences, and
- demonstrate the skills required to work autonomously with specific tasks in the main field of study.
Judgement and approach
For a Higher Education Diploma the student shall demonstrate knowledge about and be equipped to deal with ethical issues in the main field of study.