- Qualification: Ammattikorkeakoulututkinto / yrkeshögskoleexamen
- Qualification in English: Bachelor’s degree
- EQF level: 6
- Cycle: First cycle
- Thesis required: Yes, usual scope 15 ECTS
- Practical training included in the studies, minimum of 30 ECTS
- Nominal length: 3.5–4.5 years / 180-270 ECTS
- Access requirement: Upper secondary level qualification or completion of general upper secondary education
- Access to further study: Master’s degree (access to masters degrees at polytechnics requires three years of work experience in addition)
The programmes are professionally oriented and designed to provide students with extensive practical basic knowledge and skills and theoretical foundations thereof, with a view to functioning in expert positions in the relevant field. Practical training, often in the form of a work placement, is always part of the programme.
- Finnish/Swedish: [Field of study] ammattikorkeakoulututkinto/
yrkeshögskoleexamen, name of the qualification (AMK/ YH).
Example: Kulttuurialan ammattikorkeakoulututkinto, artenomi (AMK)/ yrkeshögskoleexamen inom kultur, artenom (YH)
- English: Bachelor of [field of study]
The government decree on universities of applied sciences 1129/2014 includes a full list of names of the qualifications:
- Finnish version: Finnish title and the English translation
- Swedish version: Swedish title and the English translation
- Possesses comprehensive and advanced knowledge of his/her field, involving a critical understanding and appraisal of theories, key concepts, methods and principles.
- Understands the extent and boundaries of professional functions and/or disciplines.
- Possesses advanced cognitive and practical skills, demonstrating mastery of the issues, the ability to apply knowledge and develop creative solutions and applications required in a specialised professional, scientific or artistic field to solve complex or unpredictable problems.
- Is capable of managing complex professional activities or projects or is capable of working independently in expert duties in the field.
- Is capable of making decisions in unpredictable operating environments.
- Possesses at least basic prerequisites for working as an independent entrepreneur in the field.
- Is capable of taking responsibility for development of other individuals and groups, as well as for assessment and development of his/her own competence.
- Possesses the capability for continuous learning.
- Knows how to communicate to a good standard verbally and in writing in his/her mother tongue both to audiences in the field and outside it.
- Is able to deal with different people in learning and working communities and other groups and networks, taking account of communal and ethical considerations.
- Is capable of communicating at an international level and interacting in both national languages and at least one foreign language.
- Complies with sustainable working and operating practices.