- Qualification: kandidaatin tutkinto / kandidatexamen. Certain fields, such as Law and Pharmacy, have divergent titles.
General term: alempi korkeakoulututkinto / lägre högskoleexamen
- Qualification in English: Bachelor’s degree
- EQF level: 6
- Cycle: First cycle
- Thesis required: Yes, 6-10 ECTS
- Nominal length: 3 years / 180 ECTS (Bachelor of Fine Arts: 3.5 years / 210 ECTS)
- Access requirement: Upper secondary level qualification
- Access to further study: Master’s degree (access to master’s degrees at polytechnics requires three years of work experience in addition)
The degrees usually include studies in one major subject and in one or more minor subjects.
Education leading to a university bachelor’s degree is based on research or artistic activity and professional practices. In most fields admission requires passing an entrance examination. The universities decide on the admission criteria themselves.
- Finnish/Swedish: [Field of study] kandidaatin tutkinto / kandidatexamen i [Field of study], Farmaseutin tutkinto / Farmaceutexamen, Oikeusnotaarin tutkinto / Rättsnotarieexamen
- English: Bachelor of [Field of study] or Bachelor of Arts/Science [Field of study sometimes indicated]
The Government’s decree on updating the government’s decree on university degrees 1039/2013 includes a full list of fields of study, names of the degrees and the universities where studies can be pursued (see the appendices). The degree titles in English are also included:
- The decree in Swedish: Statsrådets förordning om ändring av statsrådets förordning om universitetsexamina 1039/2013
- Appendix in Finnish (pdf)
- Appendix in
- Possesses comprehensive and advanced knowledge of his/her field, involving a critical understanding and appraisal of theories, key concepts, methods and principles.
- Understands the extent and boundaries of professional functions and/or disciplines.
- Possesses advanced cognitive and practical skills, demonstrating mastery of the issues, the ability to apply knowledge and develop creative solutions and applications required in a specialised professional, scientific or artistic field to solve complex or unpredictable problems.
- Is capable of managing complex professional activities or projects or is capable of working independently in expert duties in the field.
- Is capable of making decisions in unpredictable operating environments.
- Possesses at least basic prerequisites for working as an independent entrepreneur in the field.
- Is capable of taking responsibility for development of other individuals and groups, as well as for assessment and development of his/her own competence.
- Possesses the capability for continuous learning.
- Knows how to communicate to a good standard verbally and in writing in his/her mother tongue both to audiences in the field and outside it.
- Is able to deal with different people in learning and working communities and other groups and networks, taking account of communal and ethical considerations.
- Is capable of communicating at an international level and interacting in both national languages and at least one foreign language.
- Complies with sustainable working and operating practices.