- Qualification: Profesionālās augstākās izglītības diploms vai augstākās profesionālās kvalifikācijas diploms
- Qualification in English: Professional higher education diploma or higher professional qualification diploma
- EQF level: 6
- Cycle: First cycle
- Thesis required: State examination, including the graduation thesis (at least 15 ECTS)
- Nominal length: Type 1: 1-2 years, total duration of HE studies at least 4 years or 240 ECTS. Type 2: At least 1 year or 60 ECTS, total duration of HE studies at least 4 years.
- Access requirement: Type 1: First level professional higher education. Type 2: At least 1 year or 60 ECTS, total duration of HE studies at least 4 years.
- Access to further study: Professional or academic master programmes
These programmes are in the amount of at least 40 CP (60 ECTS credit points) after the acquisition of a Bachelor’s degree or at least 160 CP (240 ECTS credit points) after the acquisition of secondary education. In both cases the programme should comprise practice training in the amount of at least 20 CP (30 ECTS credit points) and a state examination (including the graduation thesis) in the amount of at least 10 CP (15 ECTS credit points) for the shorter programmes and at least 12 CP (18 ECTS credit points) for longer programmes. If the programme of 240 CP comprises the mandatory part of a bachelor’s programme, the graduates acquire the right to enrol in a master programme.
Graduates are awarded with the relevant diploma and the Latvian professional qualification level 5 (highest specialist qualification which provides for practical performance as well as abilities to plan and perform research and scientific work), i.e. EQF/LQF level 6.
- Latvian: [Field of study] + kvalifikāciju
- English: Qualification + [field/profession]
Examples: matemātikas skolotāja kvaifikāciju (qualification of mathematics teacher), inženiera kvalifikāciju (qualification of engineer), ekonomista ostu vadīšanā kvalifikāciju (qualification of economist in harbour management).
Knowledge (knowledge and comprehension)
- Able to demonstrate the basic and specialised knowledge typical of the concrete branch of science or profession and a critical understanding of this knowledge, moreover, a part of this knowledge complies with the highest level of achievement in this branch of science or profession
- Able to demonstrate understanding of the most important concepts and causalities of the concrete branch of science or professional field
Skills (ability to apply knowledge, communication, general skills)
- Able, by using the mastered theoretical foundations and skills, perform professional, artistic, innovative or research activity, to define and describe analytically information, problems and solutions in one’s own branch of science or profession, to explain them and to provide arguments when discussing these with both specialist and non-specialists
- Able to structure independently one’s own learning, to guide one’s own and subordinates’ further learning and improvement of professional qualification, to demonstrate scientific approach to problem solving, to assume responsibility and take initiative when performing individual work, when working in a team or managing the work of other people, to take decisions and find creative solutions under changing or unclear conditions
Competence (analysis, synthesis and assessment)
- Able to obtain, select and analyse information independently and to use it, to take decisions and solve problems in the concrete branch of science or profession, demonstrate understanding of professional ethics, assess the impact of one’s professional activities on environment and society and participate in the development of the concrete professional field