- Qualification: Yrkesexamen: Apotekarexamen, Arkitektexamen, Barnmorskeexamen etc. see the full list below
- Qualification in English: Degree of Master of Arts in… (Professional qualifications) Degree of Master of Science in… (Professional qualifications) Degree of Master of Laws Degree of Master of Architecture Postgraduate diploma in
- EQF level: 7
- Cycle: Second cycle
- Thesis required: Degree project
- Nominal length: 1 ¼ – 1 ½ years (75-90 ECTS) for Postgraduate diplomas, 4.5 – 5 years (240 – 300 ECTS) for one-tier integrated programmes
- Access requirement: Upper secondary level or completed first degree programme. Postgraduate diplomas have additional requirements of proof of professional licence to be admitted.
- Access to further study: Third cycle
Professional qualifications are awarded in the fields of engineering, health care, agriculture, law, education, etc. Professional qualifications may be offered within either the first or the second cycle. Programmes leading to professional qualifications may vary in length depending on their content and may stretch over two cycles. Some professional degrees (ca. 15) are awarded only after one-tier integrated programs. These are translated to degree of Master, whereas professional second cycle programmes in health care and education are translated to Postgraduate diploma.
Independent project (degree project)
A requirement for the award of the one-tier professional Master degrees is completion by the student of an independent project (degree project) for at least 30 credits in the main field of study.
The requirements of the independent project for the award of the Postgraduate Diploma varies. For further information, see the qualifications ordinance .
Second cycle professional qualifications
- Degree of Master of Science in Pharmacy – Swedish: Apotekarexamen
- Degree of Master of Architecture – Swedish: Arkitektexamen Postgraduate Diploma in Midwifery – Swedish: Barnmorskeexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Business and Economics – Swedish: Civilekonomexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Engineering – Swedish: Civilingenjörsexamen
- Degree of Master of Laws – Swedish: Juristexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology – Swedish: Logopedexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Medicine – Swedish: Läkarexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Psychology – Swedish: Psykologexamen
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy – Swedish: Psykoterapeutexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Medical Physics – Swedish: Sjukhusfysikerexamen
- Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Nursing – Swedish: Specialistsjuksköterskeexamen
- Postgraduate Diploma in Special Needs Training – Swedish: Speciallärarexamen
- Postgraduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs – Swedish: Specialpedagogexamen)
- Degree of Master of Science in Dental Surgery – Swedish: Tandläkarexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Agriculture – Swedish: Agronomexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Horticulture – Swedish: Hortonomexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Forestry – Swedish: Jägmästarexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Landscape Architecture – Swedish: Landskapsarkitektexamen
- Degree of Master of Science in Veterinary Medicine – Swedish: Veterinärexamen
Professional qualifications awarded in the first or second cycle
- Degree of Bachelor of Arts / Degree of Master of Arts in Primary Education – Swedish: Grundlärarexamen
- Degree of Master of Arts / Science in Secondary / Upper Secondary Education – Swedish: Ämneslärarexamen. Ämneslärarexamen is generally a second cycle qualification. However, there are exceptions: Students who have completed a supplementary educational programme may be awarded a Degree of Master of Arts/Science in Secondary Education at first or second-cycle level.
For full text descriptors, see:
For qualifications awarded by the Swedish Univeristy of Agricultural Sciences, see:
- Ordinance for the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences – Swedish Council for Higher Education
For qualifications awarded by the Swedish National Defence College, see: