- Qualification: Maisterin tutkinto / magisterexamen
General term: Ylempi korkeakoulututkinto / högre högskoleexamen
- Qualification in English: Master’s degree
- EQF level: 7
- Cycle: Second cycle
- Thesis required: Yes, 20-40 ECTS
- Nominal length: 2 years / 120 ECTS (Master of Arts (Psychology), Master of Music and Licentiate of Odontology: 2.5 years / 150 ECTS; Licentiate of Veterinary Medicine and Licentiate of Medicine: 3 years / 180 ECTS)
- Access requirement: Bachelor’s degree
- Access to further study: Licentiate degree, Doctor degree
- [Field of study] maisterin tutkinto / magisterexamen i [Field of study]
- Eläinlääketieteen lisensiaatin tutkinto / Vetenärmedicine licentiatexamen
- Proviisorin tutkinto / Provisorexamen
- Hammaslääketieteen lisensiaatin tutkinto / Odontologie licentiatexamen
- Lääketieteen lisensiaatin tutkinto / Medicine licentiatexamen
- Arkkitehdin tutkinto / Arkitektexamen
- Diplomi-insinöörin tutkinto / Diplomingenjörexamen
- Maisema-arkkitehdin tutkinto / Landskapsarkitektexamen
- Master of [Field of study] or Master of Arts/Science [Field of study sometimes indicated]
The government decree on updating the government’s decree on university degrees 1039/2013 includes a full list of fields of study, names of the degrees and the universities where studies can be pursued. The titles in English are also included. See the appendices:
- Understands comprehensive and highly specialised concepts, methods and knowledge corresponding to the specialised competence in his/her field, which are used as the basis for original thinking and/or research.
- Understands knowledge issues in the field and at the interfaces between different fields and evaluates them and new knowledge critically.
- Is capable of solving demanding problems in research and innovation, which develops new knowledge and procedures and applies and integrates knowledge from various fields, also using creative applications.
- Is capable of working independently in demanding expert duties in the field or as an entrepreneur.
- Is capable of managing and developing complex, unpredictable and new strategic approaches.
- Is capable of managing things and/or people. Is capable of reviewing the performance of individuals and groups.
- Is capable of accumulating knowledge and practices in his/her field and/or taking responsibility for development of others.
- Possesses the capability for continuous learning.
- Knows how to communicate to a good standard verbally and in writing in his/her mother tongue both to audiences in the field and outside it.
- Is able to deal with different people in learning and working communities and other groups and networks, taking account of communal and ethical considerations.
- Is capable of communicating at an advanced international level and interacting in both national languages and at least one foreign language.
- Complies with sustainable working and operating practices.